Pop-up Society and Bar is a trendy, comfortable and modern family restaurant with many exciting programmes situated in the heart of Glenwood. This community based restaurant is the 1st of its kind and will play host to various community activities for all ages and types of personalities. We will initially trade 7 days a week with breakfast being served at 6:30am and hopefully be able to sustain each sitting.
When founding members Mike and Chef Rev decided to open a restaurant the menu was the only clear aspect in their mind, they wanted to create a warm restaurant with all the food they enjoyed eating from their many travels around the world…and craft beer. In a nutshell they wanted a real food adventure right here in Durban. While their main speciality is gourmet burgers they also have tastefully created delicious home-cooked dishes for everyone. The other cornerstone of menu development was that everything had to be made from scratch and mainly locally sourced ingredients, this really does make all the difference in the final product.
‘When opening Pop-up Society we wanted to usher in a new dining-out era by offering Durbanites a real food adventure. We thought the idea and excitement of a pop-up restaurant was pretty cool but also wanted a fixed restaurant so we ultimately came up with this ‘best of both worlds’ compromise where each month we host a ‘pop-up’ menu showcasing a carefully selected theme different to our fixed menu.
We haven’t gone completely avant-garde pop-up crazy like Cape Town where one pop-up restaurant menu theme was edible flowers but we are giving you an authentic food adventure as promised. We endeavour to amuse your taste buds each month with something awesome and most importantly from our heart.
Having gone to Mozambique every year for the past 8 years on mad adventures, Mike and I grew a great affinity to this coastal country. A mere drive away from Durban but completely different in every way. We thought it was only fitting to begin our 1st pop-up menu theme with All Things Mozambique. This month we brought in a chef from Mozambique with his special spice blends and family secrets and do hope you enjoy our meal selection’
Pop-up Society is not just a restaurant; it’s a society project for the community. Over the next few months we will be launching many activities for everyone.
What makes us different to a regular restaurant?
• Trendy, modern, clean & affordable restaurant in Glenwood
• Exciting pop-up menu each month
• Express counter with a delivery service
• Great curry joint you can take your family to without breaking the bank
• Extensive night time programme
• Family night with kiddies discounted meals and activities
• Fun quiz night
• Wine tasting evenings
• Cooking courses for kids and adults
• Interactive cooking night featuring global cuisine
• Bingo evenings
• Student night with discounted meals and dance floor
• Pop-up cinema
• Extensive kids programme: Saturday and Sunday morning kids activity stations while parents dine
• Affordable express delivery service and will include restaurant bread, milk and cigarettes
• A secret and intimate dining garden
• A fresh herb garden that will service our kitchen
• Excellent cross selling initiatives such as a pop-up retail shop inside restaurant with ostrich meat freezer, artisan breads, marinades, sauces, spices for sale you can add to your bill
• Loyalty Card programme
• Online newsletter (please link this)
• Due to limited parking we will look to shuttle night time patrons from Davenport Square at no charge provided they book a table and only if we are able to secure a car sponsorship.
• Totally green restaurant with water tanks, organic herb garden, solar panels and recycled packaging.